Thursday, July 17, 2008

Matea's Fourth Day

Matea is doing great! Our only issue so far has been nursing. I thought that I was an old pro at nursing, so it's really thrown me off to be having trouble with her. She doesn't latch on well, and that has left me in a lot of pain in the last few days! My midwife looked in her mouth and said that there are a couple of things about the structure of her mouth that are making for a difficult latch. The good news is that Matea's weight is nice and steady (most babies drop weight after birth), which means that she is getting a good amount of milk. Hopefully the next couple of days
will be a lot easier on me as we get used to each other.
She is sleeping pretty well at night, so that's another blessing. She seems to be used to the pattern of having her alert times during the day and sleeping longer stretches at night. I've been feeding her once or twice at night. Not bad at all. Oh, and this sweet little blanket that she's laying on came in the mail yesterday from the Cartmills, along with the most adorable baby girl clothes. Thanks, Maur! They are so sweet, and our very first girly blankets!

Of course we're all still crazy about her. We think we'll keep her. What a blessing.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Annie Schilperoort Photography said...

Based on newborn pics, I think she is a complete combination of Samuel and Elijah (who I think looked pretty different). What do you think? And I've started referring to her as "Taya" - I hope that's alright...oh my goodness she is so beautiful!! Love you! And PLEASE keep posting lots.

Anonymous said...

so pretty! and she's got Elijah's eyes!

Carey @ The Garcia Family said...

I agree- she does look like Elijah! What a pretty girl!

I can't believe how big those bumgenius diapers look on her- so cute!