Thursday, December 23, 2010

Wednesday - Big Trees, Safari Zoo




We woke up this morning surrounded by the cool, misty coastal forests of Northern California.  We drove up the 101, looking for a nice side road to take us through the giant redwoods and sequoias.  Adam pulled up a map that gave us the name of a trail that was supposed to have some of the biggest trees and the best views.  As we pulled off the road, he mentioned that the map said that trail was “not recommended for RVs.” 

Oh dear.  If you know my husband, you know that these words invoked a challenge within him.  Maybe your average driver couldn’t navigate this trail, but then again, who’s to say we’re average?  Yes, this was a trail that was meant to be conquered by an RV, and Adam would be the one to do it.

After we turned onto the trailhead from the road, we knew right away this was no ordinary road.  It was a narrow, primitive trail that meandered treacherously between gargantuan trees and steep drop offs.  Rickety bridges here and there mixed things up even more.   More than once, I closed my eyes and prayed as Adam barely squeezed us through the trees, and the kids squealed in delight over the excitement.

Oh my, it was an adventure.  At the end of the trail, Adam admitted his regret at taking our family through the Stout Grove Trail, and he apologized to us for his poor decision.  We were happy to hit the next trail by foot.           

At Jedediah Smith State Park, we got out and hiked a loop on foot.  The forest was lush, the air was cool and damp, and the smell of trees and rain and ocean air was delicious. 

After the park, we packed back into the car and headed for the Safari Zoo just over the border in Winston, OR.   This is a zoo we always stopped at when driving to California from Portland, so it is somewhat sentimental.  The kids loved being face to face with all the animals as we drove our RV through their cages, safari style.

And now we’re safely at Pop’s, much to everyone’s delight! 



QUOTES OF THE DAY:

“‘Not allowed,’ and, ‘not advised’ are two very different things.” – Adam (pre-trail)

“We should really write to the US Forest Service and tell them to change the wording on their sign.  It’s misleading.” – Adam (post-trail)

“My stomach’s been in knots the last 10 minutes.  I couldn’t tell if I was nervous, or if I had to go to the bathroom.” –Adam (after getting us safely off the redwoods trail)

“You know camels spit, right?” – Samuel (last words before Mom rolled the windows up)

“Do we eat them?” –Matea (on seeing the turkey in the safari zoo)

“Water buffalo, YES!!! I LOVE water buffalo!!!” – Isaac

“I don’t smell good!  I smell like bad coconut.” –Isaac


1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Bad coconut? What was that about? It rained here this morning - so nice for a change. I miss you all but know you are having a wonderful time.