Friday, December 17, 2010

Family Life in 32.5 feet

We are taking it waaaay back to 2006 when we made our fateful RV trip across the country that landed us in Austin.  We had such a great time and have dreamed of long road trips ever since.

So now we leave in a 32.5 foot class c for a trip across the country.  This morning we were supposed to depart, but hit a big snag with the electrical system.  Thankfully, this big snag turned into a minor snag that only set us back a few hours.  I'm sure it won't be the first one!

Several people have asked us if we're crazy taking 5 small children in a motorhome for almost 3 weeks.  The short answer is no.  We do like sleep, we don't like crazy, and we know that 7 people and 1 dog in a small space can be a recipe for frustration.  But we have found that some of our best times come from removing distractions, learning how to live together with limited space and resources, making our own entertainment, filling the space with words instead of busyness.  This is our way of trading the urgent for the important.

Open road and adventure, here we come!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to see a picture of the Beast! And Micah is now referring to Adam as "Cousin Eddie". I hope he owns a dickie.

heather said...

This sounds like So Much Fun to me!! I hope to swing a trip like this one of these days. We grew up taking trips in my grandparents' RV -for just weekends and also for weeks at a time- and I have many fond memories of family life on wheels.
Enjoy your time! I'm jealous!!

Carolyn said...

Maybe it's good I couldn't go with you - that would make 7 people 1 dog and 1 mother/mother-in-law!!!!

Carolyn said...

Maybe it's good I couldn't go with you - that would make 7 people 1 dog and 1 mother/mother-in-law!!!!