Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Two Months Home

ABRAHAM:
aka, Abrechou, A-Ham, Hammer

While I do want to document this process, I have found myself hesitant to share some of the more difficult things about adoption (for us....for me).  Hopefully I can pull that together in a later post.  While it is certainly not all sunshine and flowers, I (and we) are loving this boy, loving his joyful demeanor and gentle spirit. 

As I browsed through pictures I realized that I haven't taken ANY pictures of Abraham in a couple of weeks.  And his hair is growing in so fast!  More pictures soon.

A-Ham is getting physical therapy every week.  As an alternative to a doc band, which the therapist recommended for Abraham's plagiocephaly (flat head), we are [trying, most days] doing an hour of therapy with him every day and essentially keeping him off the back of his head at all times except while in the carseat.  While we don't see anything wrong with the doc band in general, it is invasive and Abraham's case is not severe, so we want to try this for now.



Abraham has had a couple of "firsts" in the past couple of weeks.  First of all, he is now officially in the nursery at church.  Last Sunday was the first time since May that I have sat through the whole service, and it was lovely.  He seems very secure in his attachment to us, so we were pretty sure he would be OK away from us for a couple of hours.  He did great, and of course we have the best nursery staff who are so great about understanding his needs.

Our porky little guy can finally sit on his own!  This is a huge accomplishment given his low muscle tone & heavy body.  He is getting so much stronger, which I attribute to the huge amounts of tummy time we are giving him every day.


Lastly, his first word.  Are you ready for this?...Dada.  He says it to Adam all the time now, and there is no question that he knows what it means. 

This guy, who promptly attaches Abraham to his hip the moment he gets home from work.  This guy, who can't stand seeing Abraham sitting in his exersaucer at dinner time.  This guy, who has fed him and changed him and loved him night after night after night.  He has been wholeheartedly devoted to Abraham since the day they first met, and is thankful to call him a son.  It is so appropriate that Abraham's first word is a tribute to his Daddy's love for him.  One day we will get to tell him about the legacy of Daddy love that he has behind him as well as before him. 




1 comment:

Laura said...

He's getting so big! Would love to hear more about the downs AND the ups..we all have them. Think about your often...wish you lived closer :( Give the little man a squeeze from us!