Friday, July 23, 2010

6 Weeks Home

Well, we are actually at 7 weeks home, but when I started writing this post it was 6...which shows how long it takes me to finish a post sometimes!

It feels short, but it feels like Abraham has been here a long time, too.  We are all in love with him. Still, the transition has not been easy, even though I can't put my finger on what exactly it is. In many ways, I have felt that crazy-hormone, everything-is-overwhelming feeling that comes with giving birth. I obviously have not given birth, so I don't know what gives.  But all is well.  A sweet friend gave me some great encouragement and ideas this week for navigating through this season.  Adam and I are going away for day and a night in celebration of our anniversary this weekend.  I feel equipped.
I don't want to speak too soon, but I think Abraham is thriving.  He is a happy, smiley boy.  His eyes sparkle.  His skin glows.  He's interacting and gaining weight.  He gets hundreds of kisses every day.
Changes in these weeks since coming home:
*holds his head and his trunk upright well
*sits with support
*rolls front to back
*grabs objects with his hands and brings them to his mouth
*babbles
*bears some weight on his legs
*sleeps through the night (!)
*kicks his legs with excitement
*recognizes each member of our family with big smiles and vocalizations 
*gained 4 lbs
*complete health, with no signs of illnesses or breathing difficulties
*cries are stronger and more frequent (we suspect his weak and infrequent cries, as well as his history of respiratory troubles, have been due to weak lungs)
I look at how far he has come in these 7 weeks and I am so impressed with him - his resilience and adaptability, his joyful and contented spirit.  He is a sweet, sweet boy. 

2 comments:

Alison said...

Oh, he is just so precious!! He looks like he is definitely thriving! What a blessing!!

Laura said...

This is SO good to read. I love seeing the transformation on all our little ones.