Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Better full than empty

There is a phrase that I hear a lot when I'm out and about with my kids, and I doubt I'm the only one. "Wow, you sure have your hands full!" It irritates me, because it's inevitably always when the kids are at the end of their rope and my patience is hanging by a thread. It's just not the thing I want to hear in that moment. I have resolved to answer this question in a certain way, because I don't want my children, who are right there listening, to ever feel like I see them as inconveniences. "They are blessings."

A few nights ago we were standing in line somewhere, and the kids were being silly and having fun (not being obnoxious or overly rowdy, just laughing and having fun). A woman behind us seemed to keep trying to engage us in conversation. Finally, in an exasperated way, she said something like, "Are all these yours? Well YOU have your hands full." It was accompanied by wide eyes and pursed lips, like she was annoyed at the interruptions to the conversation and wasn't quite sure that all these kids was such a good idea. I smiled at her and said, "Better full than empty."

It is true. I've known too many women who have faced infertility, miscarriage, difficult pregnancies, and the loss of their babies to look at my kids and see them as a hinderance to my way of life. I've had too many precious moments with these little people to ever regret or resent that God put them in my life. Sure, grocery shopping is hard. Yes, my house is hardly ever neat and clean the way that I would like it. But my goodness, is there even a comparison?

Let's make this our own. "Better full than empty. They are blessings and I'm so thankful for each of them." This is my new grocery store mantra. What's yours?

6 comments:

Sharon @ Texas to Ethiopia said...

If I had a dollar for every time I heard that then I would have no trouble paying for this adoption.

And if anybody ever says to me "Well I'm glad it's you and not me" (like I've heard a friend experience) I hope I have the gall to look back and say "well with that attitude I'm glad it's not you either!"

Knox said...

how about "shut it" that's the one I like :)

the Zimels said...

Haha - I can almost picture you saying that, Erika! I like that one! :)

Bethany Fegles Photography said...

Amen!

My friend who just had her 5th child (one adopted from Ethiopia) often hears the very same thing at the grocery store. It makes her crazy. I'll share your post with her. :)

_ said...

I think that's a great response! Thanks for the comment on my blog. I LOVE hearing from my readers and so many of my Holt readers are like family to me. :)

Make sure you go back to my blog and scroll down the page a little ways and you can enter my giveaway to win a little something for one of your blessings.

I'm going to add you to my blogroll so I can keep up with your journey!

Carolyn said...

I love your sentiment "better full than empty." How true. You are an AMAZING woman and Adam is an amazing man. The Lord is blessing you and I get to enjoy those little blessings too!!