Sunday, we got to visit with Adam's Aunt Debbie, who was in the area for work and decided to hang out with us for the day! Can you believe that? She came bearing gifts for everyone, read with the kids, played games, tolerated (and even enjoyed) Lucca giving her kisses, and then took us all out to dinner. What a woman! We all loved having you visit, Aunt Debbie, and know that anytime you are in the area again, we would LOVE having you again!
And we're in limbo because we thought we'd be gone by now. The kids and I are waiting for Honeydo and Big Dave to get here in the motorhome and whisk us away. Our departure date has been postponed because of engine troubles, and we are all anxious to get this road trip underway. My boys have a permanent place in their hearts for that particular home on wheels, and I think our one trip in it has created a lifelong wanderlust in them. They love new places, they love the thought of adventure. We'll see if Matea agrees with them or not.
When we get to California, the kids and I are going to spend several days with my grandmother. We haven't seen her since we originally left Oregon for Florida (I mean, Texas), 2 and 1/2 years ago. Isaac was a baby, and Matea, as the kids like to put it, was still just a thought in God's brain. So needless to say, it will be good catch-up time.
Until then, this is the first week of sports camp! This has been such a big part of our lives lately, and I've neglected to write about it here simply because I don't think my words can do justice to how deeply God is working in our hearts and lives here. So, my feeble explanation is just that God is good, and by his grace he is giving us a heart for His work here in this impoverished neighborhood. Adam is there every day for a few hours, and will be for the next 6 weeks, coaching basketball and hopefully building mentoring relationships with the high school boys. Anyone who knows my husband can understand how thrilled he is at the prospect of combining basketball, mentoring and ministry. He's been waiting YEARS for this kind of opportunity, and I am excited to see what it will evolve into for him! I have come and hung out at sports camp with the kids off and on to break it up, and although I know this will be a stretch for my chaos-abhoring, homebody self, I have all the hope in the world that this will be a good thing for all of us.
Next stop, motorhome!
1 comment:
I love this picture - little ponytail girl!
Post a Comment