Friday, April 11, 2008

Wildflowers! (part one)

I finally found a field nearby our house where the wildflowers are profuse. The front half (which is where all of the pictures below were taken) just contains a sprinkling of different flowers here and there. The back half has the large blankets of flowers that are typical in the Texas Spring. My plan to get some great photos in the back half was cut short by Elijah's sudden intolerance to the "freezing" wind (it couldn't have been below 75*)(my goodness they've acclimated) and an emergency bathroom need - so we didn't make it to the best spots. I'm hoping to go back later today, maybe with Samuel too, and get some good bluebonnet pictures. This is the humble beginning of our wildflower quest:
Isaac and Elijah in a patch of pink evening primrose
These flowers are blanketing the sides of the highway by my house - turning the medians totally pink! This seems to be their year.
A small patch of bluebonnets - and Isaac's first bluebonnet smelling of the year!
Elijah's bouquet
A sample of this morning's bounty

I get so excited by this! I think that Texas natives take for granted the abundant wildflowers in the Spring the way that most Oregonians take for granted the abundant trees. So, as a non-native, I get completely awestruck and almost giddy when the flowers here start to bloom. Dad, if you're reading this, I know you'll appreciate this record of my sightings so far this season: Texas dandelion, coreopsis, ragwort, Mexican poppies, bluebells, bluebonnets, nettles, thistles, bachelor's buttons, buffalo peas, larkspur, Texas mountain laurel, skullcap, verbena, morning glory, pink evening primrose, basket flowers, black-eyed susan, daisies, coneflowers and Indian paintbrush. Phew! And I'm sure there's so much more that I'm either forgetting, or just can't identify!

Enjoy your Friday!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Do the Texas dandelion taste any better than the Oregon? Mine are not so sweet!
Just wanted to add a note and say that the pictures were marvelous!