Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Campers Survived...

...But the first day I wasn't sure they would. As soon as we arrived, I prepped Samuel and Elijah on rattlesnake safety. Luckily we didn't see any rattlers, but soon thereafter that first afternoon, we killed (I say "we," like it was a joint effort, so let me rephrase that...Adam killed) a scorpion and a tarantula. Luckily our encounters with nature didn't get any more exciting than that. Well, I did come away with a sunburn and a spider bite, but, at least it was a bite from a small, non-poisonous spider.



The first night was very cold, but the second night wasn't bad after we rigged the tent and the sleeping arrangements more thoughtfully than we had at first. We had a good time, and the second night we even got to put all the kids in bed "early" (in quotes, because although they were in bed early, the 3 of them had a pillow fight and a wrestling match, and really didn't go to sleep until much later) and have a little time alone together over the glow of the propane lantern.


The boys (and Lucca!) loved swimming in the lake. They didn't seem at all bothered by the murkiness of the water. It was by far the most appealing campground feature. Camping is a lot of work! But knowing that the boys had a great time and that we made memories together makes it worth the effort. I think I could do it once, maybe twice a year. :)

2 comments:

heather said...

Um, yeah- I guess I'll gladly wait for later summer weather up here in trade for not camping with snakes, scorpions and tarantulas!! I would be freaking out...
Glad you guys "survived"!

John and Natalee Warren said...

YUCK, scorpions and tarantulas! We are going camping soon and that is about all I can take also- 1 or 2 nights a couple times a year! :) Glad you had fun! And I'll try really hard to tell you about The Business of Being Born, I can't wait!