Saturday, October 21, 2006

Still in Los Angeles!



We can't seem to force ourselves to leave! Being at Grandmother's is just too comfortable! The boys have gotten used to sleeping in the red room (this is the designated kids room, which becomes the property of whichever of her great-grandchildren are visiting), and Adam and I have really enjoyed spending time with Grandmother and hearing her stories. And having someone cook for us three meals a day isn't bad either.

The first day we were here Elijah didn't get much sleep, because he doesn't do very well in new environments. That morning when Grandmother left her room just after 6:00 a.m. Elijah was sitting up in bed reading to himself. So by about 9:30 a.m., Elijah was a wreck. I very gently and lovingly took him upstairs to the red room to have a nap, but he would hear nothing of it. He was screaming, flailing; a full-blown tantrum. So I left him in his bed and told him that he could cry as much as he wanted, but he was not to leave the bedroom. About 30 minutes later I noticed the screaming had died down and I went in to peek in on him through the cracked open door. The bed was empty. The room was empty. I searched through the upstairs and couldn't find him, called for him, nothing. I went back into the room to find...Elijah, curled up in a ball behind the bedroom door, blanket to the face, dead asleep in the hardwood floor. It was quite a sight.

Last night Adam took Samuel and David Zarr (another of my cousins) to the Medieval Times show, which, in their own words, is "an exhilirating combination of fun, feasting and fighting." It included pre-competition festivities, a four-course medieval meal (served medieval-style, which essentially means no silverware) and a joust with knight in full armor on Andulusian horses with 10-foot lances! The boys had a really great time, and I know that Samuel thoroughly enjoyed eating with his fingers and having his picture taken with the beautiful princess Esperanza.

Today we spent most of the day with Aunt Becky and my mom, who just happened to have a very long layover at LAX today on her way back from the El Salvador trip with River West. We came home to Grandmother's house for dinner with LaDonna, Tracy and David (the Zarrs - my aunt & cousins).

Tomorrow we will be attending Buena Park Church of Christ with Grandmother, then heading out for San Diego shortly thereafter. The next stop is Legoland! And after that we will finally be out of California! Not that I dislike California, but it seems we've been here for too long, and we need to get going! It's been 10 days and we're only one state away!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi adam and amber rose! we miss you all!!

i love your blog, however. what a great thing to keep up with. i'm glad you're enjoying grandmother's because you bet she's enjoying all of you!

love,
arleen

Annie Schilperoort Photography said...

We can't wait to hear about legoland - that sounds like fun. We are thinking of you and praying for you each day.
love you guys!