Saturday, October 28, 2006

Friday - Helicopter Tour!














We got a nice introduction to the Grand Canyon Friday, and to the world of aviation - we took a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon. It was the first time seeing the Grand Canyon for all of us, as well as our first time in a helicopter. I think I've mentioned before that Elijah is infatuated with helicopters. We all got to use headphones during the flight, which was about 30 minutes long - even Isaac, as you can see above. I (Amber-Rose) was thrilled to find out that my assigned seat was up front with the pilot! It was incredible to actually hover over the Grand Canyon. As we approached the rim, it literally took my breath away to see how vast and beautiful and real it is, and all I kept thinking about was what an awesome Creator we have. I sat in a stupor for several seconds before I could even think about taking pictures.

Our drive up to the canyon went pretty smoothly. We had planned to leave last night, but after talking to Sheryl and Jason about road conditions we all decided it would be best to make the drive during daylight hours. That was great advice, because the wind rocked our motorhome back and forth on the narrow mountain road. It would have been much worse at night. On the way we stopped at Montezuma's Castle, which is an ancient dwelling fashioned into the side of a canyon wall by a tribe of Native Americans called the Anansi. We also stopped for lunch on historic Route 66, which was fun to see, especially since the boys have an idea of the significance of the highway from seeing the Cars movie.

QUOTES OF THE DAY:
"I made a promise to myself that I would have a good attitude today." - Samuel

"The Indians left this place because they ran out of food." - Adam, explaining to Samuel why the tribe abandoned their cliff dwelling.
- "Fat boy, fat boy, what you gonna do, what you gonna do when there's no more food?" - Elijah, in background, singing the Wierd Al Yankovich song (in response to overhearing this conversation) (this is a song we playfully sing to Isaac sometimes).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It brings back long ago memories of visiting those places as a kid with Aunt Sissy. Those were great times.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that your son has a solid understanding of the musical classics. Who cares about Bach, Mozart, and Chopin when you've got Weird Al Yankovic. I love it.