Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Generosity, part I

I have been thinking a lot about generosity.  I have always considered myself a pretty "content" person.  I've never been much into flashy clothes or designer purses or expensive cars.  Couple that with the fact that I'm married to someone who has the spiritual gift of giving, and I'm good to go.  Not materialistic at all....right?

We often tell our kids that they own nothing.  Everything they have is God's and He has allowed them to steward it for a season.  We tell them that God wants us to be generous with others because He has been generous with us. But I wonder if they see that in me.

A few weeks ago, a friend was telling me how God was asking her to give more of her money.  She told me matter-of-factly that this would sometimes mean giving out of the extra in her budget, but that sometimes it would mean giving instead of paying a bill.  My initial reaction, mentally, was that this kind of thinking was not financially sound, and God would not want us to operate that way.  I have been pondering this for weeks.

In this culture, where we are so bufferend from poverty, I know what it means to give out of abundance...but what does it mean to give out of our poverty?
More to come...

2 comments:

melissa and lucas said...

“But if anyone does not provide for his
own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an
unbeliever” (1Tim 5:8).

If giving means not paying a bill, then one isn't providing for his own family. An abundance in a budget, should truly be an abundance, bills should all be completely paid and the family should be fed.

We have struggled with the fact that once the bills are paid and the family is fed, then there are other wants rather than needs that we should give up to make room to give.

the Zimels said...

Yes! That verse has come to mind for me too!

But I wonder if that verse is not referring to the deadbeat whose heart is in the wrong place...not necessarily the person whose heart wants to provide well for their family but senses God stretching his faith in the area of giving.

I don't know the answer because I haven't studied that particular scripture in depth, and I'm still processing through this.

Great thoughts!