Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A girl and her potty chair

One thing that I have realized about having a daughter after 3 sons is that boys and girls are different.


I mean, I knew that before, but now I know it.


One small example of this is potty training. Let me back up and say that Matea is not potty trained. I have had no plans of potty training her anytime soon, mostly because I've seen with my boys that the best timing is their timing, and for Samuel, Elijah and Isaac, that timing never came before 2 1/2 years old. Sometimes after 3 years old. Even then, certain parts were like pulling teeth with those guys. I am convinced that if left to their own devices, all three of my boys would have been content to wear diapers until elementary school, if not junior high.



Fast forward to yesterday morning. Matea is 20 months old. I got her out of her pajamas, and on a whim, I asked her if she'd like to use the potty. She said, "yeah," and promptly went and sat herself down and went potty. I was surprised. I left her diaper off, and she continued to use the potty by herself consistently all morning, then all afternoon, even pooping! I almost had a heart attack.


Again, by no means is she "potty trained" (the harder task will be staying dry when we're out and about!) and I know all kids are different, but I was so shocked at the way this first step of potty training went down for Matea as compared to her brothers. No big deal, vs. lots and lots and lots of encouragement.



If this trend continues, there is a little girl who will be getting some big girl underwear soon!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Whe takes after her mama!