You may know that our Little Bug has been fully immersed in Spanish every Monday for the past few months. He homeschools alongside Samuel on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays (in English, of course!), but Mondays are Spanish days.
This week his teacher shared a language evaluation with me that she had written up on Elijah. I am blown away by how a little 5-year-old brain can go from English to Spanish just like a flip of the switch. Kids brains are so wired to learn.
He uses lots of spontaneous Spanish words here and there, but no real sentences yet. He understands a lot of what is said to him, especially on Mondays, when it's fresh in his head. On the way home from school we have conversations in Spanish that involve lots of simple yes/no responses, but he gets it!
It's fun to see the other kids picking up on words here and there, which is exactly the way I learned most of my Spanish, from listening to my mom speak the same things over and over until I understood them.
Elijah is taking risks, formulating his own words logically. The other day we were on a walk and he said, "Mom, look! A solflor." At first I thought, Solflor? What in the world...? Then I realized that he was saying "sol," for sun, and, "flor," for flower. Sunflower. Now, I have no idea how to say sunflower in Spanish, but I'm pretty sure it's not "solflor." I love seeing him make sense of his world en espanol!
No comments:
Post a Comment