Thursday, December 17, 2009

17 Things for 17 Months

I began writing in Matea's journal the other day about some of the special things I love about her at this age and want to remember. It turned into 17 things, a tribute to her age. So, here she is at 17 months, and here are the things I never want to forget about this special girl.

1. Seeing a more gentle, nurturing side of her come out.

2. The way she wraps her ENTIRE body around ours when she is especially excited to see us or doesn't want to be put down. Arms around shoulders, face buried in the neck, legs around waist. Squeeze. Repeat.

3. Her mad climbing skills.

4. Her spontaneous hugs.

5. Her slightly wild, mind-of-its-own hair.

6. The way she tries to say everything, and learns new words every day.

7. Her squeals of excitement. They are the most adorable, genuinely joyful little squeals ever. When Adam comes home from work, you would think she was a 12-year-old at a Hannah Montana concert.

8. The way she is so tactile with the world around her. She's a feeler. :)

9. Her hazel brown eyes.

10. The way she "rules the roost" at home. I have to smile every time I hear her shout, "guys!" to get the boys' attention. She knows just how to boss them around, even at barely more than 20 pounds.

11. Her daily help in the kitchen.

12. Her smell that is so uniquely hers.

13. The little dimple on the side of her mouth that has been there from birth. It's there when she laughs and when she cries. So Shirley Temple.

14. Her singing. She sings on tune, even though she can't articulate the words very well. My favorite is a Spanish song that Elijah sings at school called "Gracias Dios."

15. The way she says, "I love you," when I lay her in her crib. It sounds like, "I yuh you."

16. Her determination and toughness. She is a strong girl.

17. Her obsession with babies. Although keeping track of them drives me slightly most days, I still think it's pretty cute.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cute