Friday, June 12, 2009

Our first tornado...kind of

I love the storms here. So does Adam. And our kids have caught it, too.



Yesterday evening we had a big one, and it came bringing tornadoes and golf ball-sized hail, even amidst 100* daytime highs. After putting the kids in bed, I drove over to a friend's house just as the storm was getting started, and I've never seen so much lightning all at once. The sky was a constant series of flashes and the news reported something like 7 tornadoes in the area. The picture below is obviously not Austin, but this what the sky was doing last night:




When I got home from my friend's house, I found that the emergency alert had advised that everyone in our neck of the woods should take cover. So Adam got all the kids up from bed, pulled out a few games to pass the time, and piled heavy blankets and pillows in the hallway to wait it out (I guess that's what you do in a tornado - go to an interior room without windows. Well, actually, you go to the basement. But they don't build houses with basements here, so this is the next best thing). Luckily, Adam was meeting with someone from church here at the house who knew much more about storms than we do, so he was able to help Adam know just what to do in this sort of emergency.



Luckily, the storm turned and missed us, but not without some excitement. It was really the best of both worlds for storm lovers like us...all of the drills and drama without any damage or destruction. The only casualty was poor Lucca's sanity. She is so scared of storms that all she can do is cower in the bedroom and tremble until it's over. I won't be surprised if I see some new white hairs on her muzzle after last night.

No comments: