I have a prenatal appointment tomorrow that Adam and I are attending together...finally! It's been a few weeks here that life has gotten in the way and he hasn't been able to make the appointments. I really like this midwife, and I'm happy that we get to have this visit with her tomorrow. On the agenda tomorrow is a crash course in "what-to-do-if-the-midwife-can't-make-it-in-time-and-_(x, y or z)_-complication-arises," which is kind of exciting. That rarely happens, but it's always good to have an emergency preparedness plan, right?
Later this week my dad and Adam's mom are coming into town. I'm glad to have a couple of extra pairs of hands around the house so that I can get busy nesting. I need to get out the co-sleeper and give it a good cleaning, and I would love to get several meals in the freezer before this little one makes its grand enterance into our lives. I've loved getting all our little baby things out and washed and organized. And ordering more cloth diapers. They're just so cute when they're that little.
NAMES...we've got some names. Just nothing definite. When Elijah was born we had three names picked out (crazy to think about - none of them suit him nearly as well as Elijah has!) and waited until after he was born to name him. It may be the same story with this one. I know it'll all work out.
LABOR...I do have an extensive list of the things I want to remember in labor (or have Adam remind me to do/take), but it's not finished yet. I plan to stay active (helps the baby drop down into the pelvis and also helps a ton with the "strong sensations" of contractions) and use the tub when I need it. Warm water is such a relaxer and pain reliever. Someone I know calls it a "liquid epidural." I agree. I've got my sage and lavender essential oils ready for warm compresses, and the herbs Motherwort and Skullcap for pain relief, but last time I had all that stuff and didn't use it. I don't know if I just didn't think about it, or if I never got to the point where I needed something. A friend once told me that labor is 98% mental and 2% physical. I agree...well, maybe like 90/10. :) I found that the most effective thing, for me, in "dealing" with the intensity of labor, was keeping calm, staying relaxed, and absolutely never entertaining the thought that "I just can't take this anymore." I really tried to embrace each contraction with an attitude of gratitude, because if it was a strong one, that just meant my body was doing it was getting the job done. Before Isaac's birth, when I was apprehensive about handling the pain of what would be my first unmedicated labor, my old midwife, Wendy, reassured me that my body knew exactly how to regulate itself and would keep just the right balance of labor-producing hormones to pain-relieving hormones. That is so true! (Wendy, if you're reading this, thanks for the great wisdom! It's stuck with me!)
THE KIDS...I've talked with the kids pretty openly about what to expect when I go into labor. I would like them to be able to see this birth if they want to. Samuel wants to be in another room because he doesn't want to see the blood. Elijah says he'd like to be there. So we'll see if that works out. In any case, Samuel has got dibs on cutting the cord and Elijah is going to give the baby its first bath (with help!). Isaac is clueless.
Here is a picture from last month...you can't tell too much from the pictures, but I know the belly has grown!
3 comments:
Yep! I agree. in the most kind & sensitive way a person can agree with this...your belly has grown. Don't take offense - you saw me last summer...so seriously...you look amazing! And...if the belly didn't grow, we'd all be worried.
You are adorable! :) Thanks for the pics and info! It was great to talk with you this morning. I can't believe the next time we talk it could be to hear about the new Zimel!
I am reading, and I'm glad that you remembered about the pain-endorphin balance! You look absolutely beautiful, and I'm looking forward to hearing about another lovely birth. You're in my thoughts!
Post a Comment