Sunday, March 25, 2007

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!?

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!? This is what was going through our heads yesterday evening when Samuel came inside and quietly announced that he had cut a hole in the trampoline safety net so that Daddy could get in and out easier.
Are you serious? You did what??!!!!!
He had a sort of sheepish look on his face and scissors in hand, so right away we knew something bad was up. To his credit, he was very remorseful and apologetic. He immediately assured us that he could pay to replace it. So "reality discipline" tells us that we don't cushion him from the natural consequences of his actions. But is it way too harsh to make a kid this age shell out $90 for a new safety net? Obviously I don't want our kids to think they have license to be destructive toward their possessions because Mom and Dad will just buy a new one if it breaks.
Other parents, any thoughts? For now he is paying for a box of zip ties as a temporary fix, as well as losing trampoline and scissor privileges for awhile. He is prepared to pay for a new safety net enclosure kit if the zip ties don't work.
I know there may be a bit of future humor in this, I guess that's why I took the picture. In no way would I want to shame him for being careless or impulsive, because we've all been there. But my goodness, how frustrating!

No comments: